P80F is an air ground muscovite mica consisting of a hydrated potassium aluminium silicate with minor amounts of sodium, iron, magnesium, and calcium. As a platey mineral, it offers beneficial physical properties and is chemically inert. It is flexible, elastic, very strong, waterproof, and has outstanding dielectric and thermal insulating characterics not duplicated in any other substance. Suggested applications include joint compounds, sound deadening, plastics, paints and coatings, welding rods, and foundry coatings.
- Paints and Coatings - used as a pigment extender. It helps keep pigment in suspension, reduced chalking and shrinking of finished surface, reduces water penetration and weathering, and brightens tone of colored pigments.
- Drilling Mud - helps to seal porous section of the drill hole to reduce circulation loss.
- Plastics - Used in plastics for the automotive industry to improve the performance of plastic parts. The particles serve as an agent to absorb sound and vibration. The addition of mica can also improve mechanical properties by increasing stability, stiffness, and strength.
- Rubber - Mica is used as an inert filler and mold release agent in the manufacture of molded rubber products such as tires and roofing. The platey grains of mica act as an anti-sticking agent.
- Asphalt Roofing - Used as a surface coating on asphalt shingles and rolled roofing. Flat mica particles coat the surface and act as an anti-stick agent. Mica does not absorb the asphalt and stands up well to weathering.
- Joint Compounds - Serves as a filler, improves workability of compound, and reduces cracking.
For more information please download our datasheets.